13.4.10

Floating

Suspended in mid-air, I remember falling. Falling forward as it was. The thing is, I had seen the cars headlights leaving the closing Chili's restaurant; I had actually thought about the chance of it being a drunk driver head the wrong way into my path down the one direction divided highway. When I hit the ground (over the handle bars, missing karanging my head by how? - tucking it in, I guess) I knew it was one of those "this is gonna hurt" moments in my life.





Kekoa; "Motorboat"


The resulting injuries (broken clavicle, fractured ribs front/back, road rash, and the late onset of fluid around my heart) was not the worst of it. I think the worst part was going over and over the fact of how close that was. It is funny how everytime I pass that area, I seem to remember floating in mid-air, right before the impact. I dont remember the hit; I do remember the pain, and almost blacking out. I remember riding the mo-ped the rest of the 8 miles home, trying to breathe; and not doing a very good job of that.

It was so close.

I wonder out loud what would be now, with the boys and Kiana, Maile; if things were not as fortunate?

It seems like when things get rotten in Denmark; that all that pain was nothing but an excercise in preperation for more pain.

Damn.

Tired.

Aloha.

3 comments:

beckyboop said...

I don't want you to feel any pain. I hope you are alright. Stay well for that wonderful family of yours.

alan said...

Turned a corner once, Yamaha 650, back wheel slid out on gasoline that had been hosed down from an earlier wreck. Got my leg out as it went down, opened my eyes with a VW bumper in front of them...nothing broken, minor scrape, bike had broken turn signal. Learned not to wear Polarized sunglasses when I rode!

I'm grateful for all of us that you got through that; even more grateful for your family you did! Your a Pop like no other!

alan

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

I'm also grateful you got through that...but you rode home??

Facebook has a lot of statuses with people going on, 'I can't believe my kid's making the same mistakes I made,' sorta stuff. One in particular--she stole my guy twenty years ago, got pregnant, they got married, three kids, divorced, onto her second marriage and happier (yeah, I'll just friend anybody, I guess)...so now she's airing out her regrets, while I keep thinking *whew* she sure helped me dodge a couple of big bullets. Plus, it all had to be that way so she could have her life today (me, too, for that matter).
Any little change in her decisions and certain people would not be on this planet, otherwise.
Maybe when she has grandkids, she'll cut herself more slack.
That's what my grandma used to say to me. Not a good marriage, hers, and she'd sort of get to the spots where it was painful to talk about, then pause and say, 'But then there wouldn't have been you grandkids,' and I'm incredibly grateful she went through all that so that I could be here.