19.6.09

Imua Kamehameha

Kaleo just got into Kamehameha pre-school - below is the will Berniece Pauahi Bishop part of the reason there is land, money, and a school for Hawaiian Blooded children.

I give, devise and bequeath all of the rest, residue and remainder of my estate real and personal, wherever situated unto the trustees below named, their heirs and assigns forever, to hold upon the following trusts, namely: to erect and maintain in the Hawaiian Islands two schools, each for boarding and day scholars, one for boys and one for girls, to be known as, and called the Kamehameha Schools.

I direct my trustees to expend such amount as they may deem best, not to exceed however one-half of the fund which may come into their hands, in the purchase of suitable premises, the erection of school buildings, and in furnishing the same with the necessary and appropriate fixtures furniture and apparatus.

I direct my trustees to invest the remainder of my estate in such manner as they may think best, and to expend the annual income in the maintenance of said schools; meaning thereby the salaries of teachers, the repairing buildings and other incidental expenses; and to devote a portion of each years income to the support and education of orphans, and others in indigent circumstances, giving the preference to Hawaiians of pure or part aboriginal blood; the proportion in which said annual income is to be divided among the various objects above mentioned to be determined solely by my said trustees they to have full discretion.



It is a big deal. Let me put it like this - such a large percentage of children apply to get into Kamehameha that the chances of just getting picked are huge. Somewhere, someone or thing or buncha-guys-gathered-in-a-closet are loking out for one said kiddo.

The resources of Kamehameha are HUGE. they are the largest landowner in the state; and when land is at a premium, you get the most for your land (if you get my drift) All of my kids applied and where shot down. For him to have the educational opportunities that are available here, is amazing.

I'm just a bit player in his life; just a small part of what over the long run will encompass many experiences. I have always tried with all my keiki; all of them. For the most part, I think Lady C and I have done pretty good. Kaleo's father will always be a work in progress, this I must realize. It may never be completed, and that will always darken some part of our days, since a joyfilled offspring; healthy, happy and productive is all any parent can desire. But our family unit must be a whole, must strive for something that is better than sadness brought on by a selfish force of one.

Ohana cannot force happiness and joy; it must be accpeted by each as it occurs.


But you got to let it occur.

Safe weekends all.

Aloha.

No comments: