11.8.07

It's on to the future....

My parents have moved past the late 70's and officialy are now in the modern times. Momhawaiianmark used the term 'googled' today. Of course, she didn't mean it in the way you or I, or the 20 gadzillion other computer users of the world do.

They printed a schedule for Dadhawaiianmark's football team up.

And that means 'googled' I guess.

Momhawaiianmark is the same techno savvy lady that called me up crying that she had broken her new cell phone that we got for her...from a pay phone. Just press the little phone icon, Mom. Its just turned off.

Mom's still trying to use her calling card; even tho' the cell to cell costs nothing. God bless her. Mom and Dad still has a rotary dialed phone, last time we went to Kamuela. They are in the process of building their new home in Honoka'a, all brand spanking modern and stuff. Dad got himself a Plasma TV, all new appliances, gorgeous design of the home, vaulted ceilings and stuff.

Wanna bet they still have that rotary phone?

Mom can bake a cake outta water and bread, and my Dad taught me how to build an extension to our home with a bent saw and a broken hammer. Once, we were given a basketball backboard and poles for the school. All I had to do was knock off the 500 lbs cement that was formerly holding the thing in the ground.

With a hammer and chisel.

Then it was only needed to load it onto a flat bed truck, haul it to the school, dig the post-holes in the rock-hard, stone infested, ground.

Builds a character.

Aloha, and welcome to the modern world.

3 comments:

Anne said...

your parents sound so awesome.
and you know what they say about the apple and the tree.
the man is still working his butt off in papaikou. we miss him here, but he's doing good work. and his dad is appreciating the love and care. it's a whole new phase, as our parents get older.

and that new baby!wow. another gorgeous grandbaby for you. grandmama looks so proud and happy.
great to see.

Jennifer said...

I replaced my mom's rotary phone two years ago. She put it off and put it off, because she thought the phone company had to be involved, and it would cost lots of money. Think I spent twenty bucks at Mall*Wart, for the modular jack, the phone, and a twenty-foot handset cord, because the woman refused to go cordless. I probably bought a box of Twinkies, too, because you can't go to Wall*Mart and NOT buy junk food, and junk food alleviates familial stress.

My brother burnt the 20 ft cord in the toaster. (WHO plugs their toaster in right under the freakin' phone???) She thought she needed a complete new phone. I said, "Just replace the burnt cord with the original shorter cord that came with the phone." (Duh.) She said, "I don't think I have the tools for that."

Peed my pants laughing.

Nope, she don't have the tools for that :-)

And my brother thinks there's such a thing as a left-handed screwdriver.

I could go on, but you get the picture :-)

Needless to say, neither of them blog, so I can make fun all I want!

alan said...

I'd still like to give them both a huge hug for raising such a character!

alan