15.7.05

Spare Change / Sensible Shoes

Got in the water for a fast one. Too short, small waves, windy.

Firehouse was all too quiet, bets are on that tomorrow will be cranking - Saturday. Get those running shoes on. Speaking of shoes, time for me t'get some new treads fo' sure. 5 years of running, hiking, volleyball, have the present pair crying for retirement. Sensible shoes, that wear well will be acquired. Which brings up- WTF do I need shoes for anyway? I friggin' hate 'em. First 5 years of grade school, I never ever wore ANY. Beat the shit outta my paws, yeah. but what good Hawaiian doesnt? (insert racicist comment on mental ability of natives here) Good feet double as swim fins, IMHO. The wider the better, the flatter the more kick you get. How the hell do keiki (children) survive now-a-days? Sweet plumeria blossoms, they all have 100 dollar treads on the feet, for what? You dont get to feel the crisp grass on your heels, the hot asphalt burn your phalanges, the fun of going to emergency for a tetnus shot. What fun are they having? And who the hell told tourists to wear shoes at the beach? WTF is up with that? What the hell? You paid to feel the sand, moron!! Auwe! (disgust, amazement) Ok, rant over.

Ran into the local Macy's to pay Dear C's Credit card bill on the way to Hotel Hell this afternoon. Had a intersting exchange 2X in 'bout 2 minutes. First, the line at the checkout was backed up. Oh well. I got extra time and patience available, no big deal. This little Filipino lady/sales clerk calls me over to her section to pay. "Cum ober here yung boy", ( making my cockles warm) "Ewe wanto pay your billll?" "Mai deeeepatment is Polo, ober here, you cum, you pay ober here", "No wait, cum now"... Little old Filipina ladies. How the hell cant you "lub dem"? She was rattling on 1/2 Ilocano 1/2 English. At Hotel Hell, I work with many, MANY filipino workers. Almost all are pretty cool, albeit a skoshi (small) bit on the "not my job" stance. But this sweety made my day. "I werk ober here in POLO, I sell POLO, ewe ask me, I know POLO." ( I didnt have the heart to explain to her that seeing me buy POLO would be the last thing that this earth would see) So I say "Aunty, (term of endearment to any female older than you not related) How you figger, I gonna buy POLO?, No mo' surf shorts, Tshirts, I not going wear 'em!" " Just gotta pay mama's credit card"

So Aunty smiles and with the 3 missing teeth, it was a sight, she did the payment, and as I was leaving she says again - " Eye no Polo, ebreeting, well, maybeeee not ebreeting, but I no Polo!!"
"You go, aunty, you go."

So I am leaving all warm and fuzzy, this Mama Sita making me laugh when I was feeling fairly irritated. Thanks Aunty. So I go out the door, and from behind this young girl says (kind of loud) "Dont be offended, but can I ask you something?"

I mean WTF was going on IN that store?

She proceeds to ask me what my shirt size is, how tall I am, how much I weigh, (183, thankyouverymuch, 185, when wet) 'cause she need to buy a b-day gift for her friend who is about my size. Cute younger girl, but I almost couldnt help but laugh out loud over her thinking I would be offended, I thought she was going to be pissed or something, or mistook me for some asswipe who hurt/abused/dumped/whatever her.

Then for some god-knows-why reason, she tells me her friend has diabetes, is overweight, might be going to Iraq, nineyards and a whole lotta what-the-fuck???? look from me.

Nice 'tho, and my journey into the weekend bizarreness has begun.

Aloha from paradise, where who knows what the hell is coming up next.

Peace. ( and sheeeee nose POLO!)

1 comment:

spankmewithaspoon said...

Happy you found me, so I could find you. An FF, who speaks anatomically? I'm on my knees. Already you are fulfilling my blog reading requirements, with dynamism, exotics and education. Plus, your page is handsome. Please don't tell my guys about my blog. What happens on the island stays on the island. Right?
Wishing you the best, Your newest reader.