11.5.06

Mom's day & Mom's Day Swell

One day I was listening to Neil Young singing about "sitting under the stairs thorwing out some glares" from I am a child and Momhawaiianmark said -

..."That'd have been me"

It took a moment to sink as far in as it needed to. Then Mom and I had the longest talk.

She started telling me of her childhood, growing up in Sabetha, Kansas, and Bern, Kansas. What it was like to lose her Dad to a industrial accident at the John Deere factory when she was 13. How people treated her, as the olive skinned; curly haired sister of a blonde haired, blue eyed sis. How the taunts hurt. It let me in on the molding of her life. Why she carried herself with a grace and enthusiasim for everything. From her religion, to her thoughts on equality of mankind. How her beauty led her to be a homecoming queen for Bowling Green. The life of a stewardess for United, the people she met doing that. How she met my Dad. The life her Mom led in raising 2 daughters, sans husband.

Momhawaiianmark gave me insight to passion. The passion that exsists between two persons. The passion that exsists in art. Passion for sports, gardening, baking, reading. Plain old, unadulterated passion. Mom is like 76 now. She weighs in at about 100 lbs soaking wet. She rocks. She gets up early, works her beloved arse off at saving, cleaning, cooking for my Dad. And my Dad showers her with love. She has no needs besides him at her side. When I played football, soccer, and ran track, she was always there. She cheered louder than anyone her size should be able to. She always pulls for the underdog.

She digs a good bottle of wine.

All Moms got heart, care and forgiveness embeded in the minds the own.

My luck is she shared.

Love ya, Mom.


*******

As sure as the Sunday for Moms day brings corsages, leis, and brunch buffets, there is usually a Moms Day surf swell.

Might be late this year, but it will come. It always does.

***********

Big time Aloha to all the Moms out there.

Aloha.

6 comments:

Anne said...

thanks, pal!

Jennifer said...

Beautiful tribute to MomHM, Mark. You deserve a glorious swell :-)

Rain said...

Nice post. Mom sounds very cool.

fineartist said...

You too mark,

dads mother,

or should I say nurture?

alan said...

I knew your passion came from somewhere wonderful!

Happy Mother's Day to yours!

alan

Mags said...

I love, "She cheered louder than anyone her size should be able to."

Excellent post Mark!