7.5.06

Pocket Door Terror

Neil, click the title for article link


Our master bedroom has (had) a pocket door. You know, the kind that slide into a recess in the wall? Usually used for bathrooms, to save space, or just to make a small space more user friendly. Being that a regular door on average takes up 10 square feet. (open, close, like dat!)

The aforementioned Evil Contractor Curt who, not on my dime, did the renovation for my MIL to the tune of 12K, did the pocket door thingy for my now master bedroom.

The Evil Contractor Curt, who is my MIL's nephew, likes pocket doors. Apparently, he had a kick back program going with Lowes, as he purchased all the materials from there. (I wont mention that Lowes is the FURTHEST home improvement center from our home) So The Evil Contractor Curt was always on the road, when he wasn't half-assing the renovation.

Lets bring into the picture; my lovely Lady C, who really, really hates our pocket door.

She hates the pocket door -

1. The Evil Contractor Curt put it in.
2. It doesn't have a lock that works real well.
3. See #1 as to why there is a #2.
4. I didn't get out of the house fast enough this morning.

Sooooooooooo - Lady C decides that, hell, today is a good day to put in a new door. I really shoulda left before dawn. Anywhooose, off to City Mill, the bane of my existence, for supplies and less than knowledgeable information. Sooooooooo - tear out pocket door. Measure, think, measure, think, (cup o' Joe), think. Give up on all sane thought. I am crazy, but I get the job done. (thanks, Ben Folds five)

Conversation -

Lady C- "I'll help you; it wont be too hard"

2Lefthands- "mummmble"

Lady C- "Okay, so first....(phone rings)"

3lefthands - "I need to get...(ninety million things together to do this project)"

Lady C- (on the phone for the next 2 hours)

Sooooooooo- Figure the damn thing out, spend all day doing it, of course, due to the EVIL CONTRACTOR CURT'S lack of measuring skills, the damn door way is not square.

Sooooooooo- Fixing that faux pas, finally shimmy, scrape and hone the thing in -

And it was time to go to work at Hellish Pinkish Wonderland.

Top it off, I had no gas in my truck.

And

I

Am...

I am.....

I am........

The Luckiest.

Tired Aloha's

3 comments:

Anne said...

great article, mark.
i love shakey deals!
we fans have much to be proud of.
he never lets me down.
thanks.

alan said...

Not the Sunday I'd have wished for you, but having a lock that works has to be worth it!

alan

Sandy said...

Guess what?! I found out this morning that I am going to be a bridesmaid at "Hellish Pink Wonderland" sometime this year! LOL, for sure I'll see you, being passively aggressive as you can like waiterrant eh!