7.11.06

I vote; therefore I may bitch

Voting.

This is my story.

When I was a small kine keiki, I went to a real large private school. It was made up of wealthy kids from not much varied economic backgrounds. It was the 60's. For the most part, in this pro-democratic state, their families were Republicans. When I asked my Muddah and me Faddah what we were, good old Dadhawaiianmark said -

"Neither; we just think whose best"

So much for politics on this surf site.

But in growing up in all things HMark-ish, I stick my nose in where it doesnt belong. I used to see bumper stickers that said -

"Old enough to die, not old enough to vote"

This was during Vietman. As it got me thinking, (always bad for me) I asked dear old Pops again what was the story on the stickers? He said that 18 y/o's cant vote, but can get drafted and go to Vietman and die for others right to vote, so it makes voting all that much more important to those who cant.

Those words ring in my ears every election.

So every election in the past 29 years, I vote.

What If We Couldnt?

Hope you all did.

Aloha.

The dreaded '29' are coming to dinner in the restaurant tonight.



Run for the hills!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Best of luck with the dreaded 29 ;-) Maybe have the bartender water down their fancy umbrella drinks?

Do lesbians drink umbrella drinks? Hell, I won't even touch a cosmopolitan because it's PINK, and I'm as straight as the day is long.

Raised by republicans, I never did get the partisan-think. It's every man on his own merits, in my opinion. Your folks taught you right.

fineartist said...

Me too, I vote therefore I bitch.

And it never made sense to me that soldiers could die for the country but not vote in the elections, or drink a beer legally for that matter.

Maybe with food the girls will be more laid back.

Sandy said...

I voted! What's up with you trip? Is it not working out like mine : (
POOH!