23.8.05

3/7


Kaupo Gap, Maui, Hawaiian Islands.

My Tutu Kane (grandfather) was born, and raised in this gap. He was the only male child outta 9. His name, as well as mine, is fairly well known. If you say it, (my surname that is) someone will know someone I am related to. We live on islands, thus people know. For his fathers name and lineage to carry on, he needed to have sons. He had 2. My Dad, he had the only son. So Tutu kane's Mother always told me from keiki (child) time, that I needed to have a son. I didnt know what the hell she meant. My Tutu Kane was born on 3/7. My first born, his link to his own lineage, was born on 3/7. At 3:07 in the PM. He had the biggest smile, (my Tutu Kane) on his face, as he peered thru the birth-room glass. Somewhere, Tutu Kane, and Tutu Wahine are in a place where they see all this. They are happy.

My Tutu Kane had the most amazing amount of patience. When he passed, I cried deeply. All I asked was that he grant me safe passage in life, and a manini (small) amount of the patience he posessed.

Still trying, Tutu, still trying.

Me Ke Aloha Pumehana.

Aloha.

1 comment:

Playground In My Mind said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your grandfather. I imagine being born and raised on the islands is very close to Heaven. You will get there; understanding something is over half of the battle. Renee :)