19.9.06

"Carrie Aereola"

Yesterday was 24 at the Firecom.

Day before, was my ex-chiefs wedding, nothing like 200 or so firemens and the significant others for a rip-snorting good time.

Scored bonus points for dancing with whats her name, (Oh yeah The Lady of the house; her highness, C).

Work is work, and thats that. We have often callers that we refer to as "frequent fliers" People who call alot, most times from a payphone, thereby untraceable. Or via a cell, also untraceable. I take that back, the payphones are, but with limited results.

For most of them, they are invalids who need help with this or that, up or out, back in, or back up. The companies that go to these alarms are pretty on it, if the residents are in danger, or a menace to themselves or others, they contact social services, etc. And keep everybody safe. thats the coolest part of my job, helping.

Then we got "Carrie" -

My day starts at 7, but I am a freak, and always get everywhere early. So I hitch up my ears, and such and get ready for a 24 hour span of fun.

'Carrie' calls at 715.

To put it mildly, Carrie has issues. Carrie will call, and state right off the bat - "This is Carrie Aereola.." and you know it is the start of a long call. It seems that Carrie is pretty much psychotic. If she isnt psychotic, she is definitely delusional. If she isnt delusional, then a big beware sign needs to be placed on her forehead.

Me - "Fire Dept. What is your emergency?"

Carrie - "This is Carrie Aereola; and you ned to get down here because the police wont do anything and my son they are trying to kill him and he is in the bag over there by the dump, he stay in the bag because the guy in the red van when drop him over the side into the revine and I cant go down there, so you got to come"

Me - "So you are at Daiei (a store) and you need us to do exactly what?"

Carrie - "you need to come down here, beecause you know my imaginary son is in the bag..."

Me - "try wait - your imaginary son?"

Carrie - "Yeah, my pretend kine son, his fadda ( father ) when bag out on us , and no one believes me and i can see the bag moving li' dat and you need to come and cause the guy with the red van wont come help me because my daughter and everyone is trying for kill us because I dont know?"

Me - "Where is this bag? How do you know someone is in it? Did you call the Police? ...seems more of apolice thing, Carrie?"

Carrie- "Da police no care, they said to go take a shower. They think i dont hahahahahahahaha know what that means they no believe me, cause they said my husband like that, never follow and the redvan guy is killing me slowly, but i know better than to call the police....

Me - "Carrie, are you sure of this situation? Why not go down where the 'bag' is a find out if there is something there that is yours?"

Carrie "No,...cause the police dont believe me, and noone will let them stop the daughter that I had from going with that guy over there...and....."

Me - " Carrie?...Carrie?"

- -Phone cuts off.

So Carrie calls quite often, and deep inside my head, you know this person needs serious help. At the same time, you know alot of it is more than likely, self induced. I could be wrong, and it is just terrible mental illness, striking someone who seems to sound so young.

And there is the rub - the fact that this could be a young girl/woman traumatized by something/one/or demon, real or imagined.

And I sit armed with a phone.

Police know of her, her family, and seem to shrug it off as a nutcase, even EMS, as she "frequent flys" with them mainly to get medicated up and then is released back into the world.

Some reason, shit like this makes me bummed.

Stay well.

Aloha

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Ah buddy, I feel for you
We get lots of those frequent fliers too. Psych pts scare me because they are so unpredictable.
I had a pt with a staph infection but he insisted it was an STD from the moon goddess because he had sex with her, and the VOICES in his head were telling him that!

Hey, time is coming near...gonna revel in the pink goodness soon! nevermind about the room, my friend had to do a block of rooms thing somewhere so I joined in.
Thanks anyhow : )

Mags said...

It makes me sad too...

Jennifer said...

Isn't Aereola French for the area around a woman's nipple?

Just trying to get a giggle out of you, because there's nothin' sadder than the way our hands are bound when it comes to getting help for the mentally ill. (And yes, I know a little bit about that, so I feel for you)

alan said...

Somewhere I remember hearing that at any given time 1/3 of the people in city and county jails should be in mental health facilities, but too many of them were closed during the last round of "compassionate conservatism".

alan

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

On a lighter note, if someone took the time like you did to write down what she was saying, she's got one incredible imagination! I found myself starving for more details. It's unfortunate the only people she can find to listen to her are the ones who HAVE to in order to keep us all safe. *Granted, easier said by me way over here, having not had to live with the delusions for however many years. Fine Artist's new tales highlight how difficult it is living with the 'mentally beyond us.' Especially ones who get violent.

But. Carrie Aereola sounds like she's got quite an involved fantasy world going on, and ain't it weird how J.K. Rowling's got billions for having the same ability? Fine line between best selling author and 'unable to function in society.'

The Imaginary World of Carrie Aereola
Someone should put it to paper, get her some money and sit listening to her and her imaginary friends on a daily basis. I'd do it! Heck, she's in Hawaii! I'd sit and listen to plants if that was the gig.

fineartist said...

You and me both, this situation is so similar to the one I am dealing with in regards to my dad and the chick who he let move into his house four years ago.

He didn’t know she was schizophrenic, when her sister told me, and I told him, he said, “Every one has mental problems Snooks, just varying degrees.” Great dad, just make sure she takes her meds.

He didn’t, and she didn’t, and know he cant get her to move out of his house. She’s too sick to move, too emotionally deranged, too in need of help.

So now I get to serve her with an ex parte, which will only solve my dad’s problems, not hers. In order to get her help I have to let her hurt me, and then I can call the mental health crises team to come get her, but only if she is a threat to self and others, because it’s not against the law to refuse medication, or to be crazy.

Messed up situation for sure. Hugs you.

fineartist said...

That's now, not Know, sheesh.

Aeroela...he heh. I'll just be dorkin' my way out of here now.