27.9.06

Dryer Belts, or why I learned along time ago, that my name is 'Murphy'

Random musings on stuffed a life.

Its out there

So yesterdays 24 at firecom produced no nuclear disasters (good) but also incurred no sleep ( eh, WTF, its overated, anyway ) but a smorgasborg of hi-and-lo lites.

About the time school ends -

HM - "Fire Department, what is your emergency?"

Young lady - "My tutu (grandma) fell down and she is like 300 lbs, and I cant get her up, and she needs help"

HM - "OK dear, is tutu hurt?"

YL - "Tutu, you hurt?"

YL - "no, she not hurt"

HM - "Good, how far tutu fell? - did she hit her head? and was she awake when you found her, - did you just get home from school?"

YL - "Tutu - you hit you head? No. She fell down couple hours ago, I jus' came home"

HM - " Can tutu talk to me?"

YL - "Oh yeah, here, tutu..."

TT - " Hi, dis is me..."

HM - (trying not to laugh, just a little, as who else would it be?) " Hey tutu, how you doing? What happened?"

TT - "Eh, I jus' when make lolo (foolish, stupid) I was trying fo' get my cane, li' dat, and when huli (turnover, flip) fall down, no can get up, ass why hard, boy, I too momona (portugese slang for fat)fo' get up, and I was on da ground fo' couple hours now"

HM - "'K den tutu, you hit your head? or get hurt at all? You need EMS...the ambulance?"

TT - " Nah, no need da ambulance, just someone fo' help me up li' dat"

HM - " How old is your moopuna (grandchild)?"

TT - " She stay 8 "

HM - " She OK?"

TT - " Yeah, she OK"

HM - "OK Tutu, going send the firetruck, 'K? And I going ask EMS for go too, alright?"

TT - "Oh no, I no like da ambulance"

HM - "Tutu, just for make da kine check you out, for make sure you a re OK, you can always say NO to having them take you, no worries, 'K?"

TT - " OK, you ging come now?"

HM - " Tutu, you hear the siren in the distance?"

TT - " Oh, yeah !"

HM - "Dats them, OK?"

TT - " How you did that, hoooooo da fast kine you bugga!"

HM - " Magic, tutu, magic...Can talk to your moopuna for a second?"

TT - "Oh...yeah, OK"...."Sister-girl, da fireman like talk to you"

YL - " Hello? "

HM - " You did a real good job, you help tutu when the guys come OK?"

YL - " OK, I can, no worries, right?"

HM - "Thats right sweetie, no worries, you did great"

YL - "Thanks"

HM - "Ok, you go help , and aloha"

YL - "k den, 'loha"

So that was the bright spot, and made having Murphy reach me on getting home this morning all that much easier to deal with.


Seems my wonderful 1979 vintage DG410 Maytag dryer blew its velt yesterday, so that was my project for today , before this hell called the pink that I am at now.

I love making old shit still work.

Hear that , Lady C?

Anyway, good thinkings out to you all.

Aloha.

4 comments:

alan said...

You're making me feel very guilty for scrapping that old Chrysler, you know...

Hopefully Maytag cooperates, and "the Pink" is mellow!

Thinking of you...

alan

Jennifer said...

When ten people stay at your house, this is not a good time for the Maytag to fritz, but at least you have one that still has mostly metal parts!

Moopuna warms my heart. Tutu's right -- you fast kine!

Rain said...

good post, great dialect writing! Hope you can get the old washer back in shape.

fineartist said...

Up until about a month ago, I had roughly twenty dollars worth of washer and dryer...okay, not counting the parts we've had to buy to replace the ones that bit the dust, but we paid ten bucks a piece for them. Picked them up off the curb.

My man used to work on washers and dryers. Used to pick them up off the side of the road and fix them, and then sell them for a little over what he had in them, usually sixty bucks a piece. And he's always repaired everyone's machines, who we know.

Anyway, about a month ago my ex sister-in-law called me and asked me if my son's washer had been repaired. I told her no, it was beyond repair, it being a 1971 model, and the man being totally sick and tired of fixing it. (Son likes to gag his washer with as much laundry as humanly possible...no kidding, I think he stuffs it all in and then jumps in with it to smash it down, like Zilla‘s kids)...Anyway, so my ex s-i-l, says, "Well I just bought a new set and would Mitch like my old set?"

DUH, HELL YES. So Mitch and I go to pick it up, and it is like, the most beautiful set of machines I've ever seen. We load it up and Mitch says, "Mom, you've never had a new, matching washer and dryer before, why don't you take this set and I'll take your old ones."

I'm thinking, hmmm, why didn't I think of that? COOL.

So now I have like this beautiful, almost new, MATCHING washer and dryer, and they even work really well, only the washer sort of sounds like a small aircraft when it starts spinning, but who cares? I certainly don't.

Sometimes I just open the doors to my utility closet and stare at 'em, but I am a dork.

Loved the Nana story, God/Goddess bless her kind heart, and yours too.