21.6.06

Politics Of Drying

1979 was a good year for dryers. Especially the Maytag DG410. So the dryer died, and I refused to go out and drop 3 to 400 on a new one, when the cloudless hawaiian sky beckons.

$150 From craigslist

So I searched the Costco store (899 for a primo top-o-da-line model) that would probably crap out in a year or 2's time. Then I hunted the appliance stores around town, and most were 400 +. Then the genius that I am, (pat, pat on me back, back) Decdied to look at the classifieds, and craigslist. The classified ads brought nada, but craigslist was a feast of opportunity. (if you never heard of it, it is like a local ebay/classifieds/yard sale)And I hooked up with the seller of the 1979 Maytag DG410.

Why go new, when you can go classic? Just listen to the sounds of Greg Brady running down those California Stairs. You can hear a faint "This is the big one, 'Lizbeth" from Fred Sanford, or even here Archie yelling "You Dingbat!" to Edith. This piece of art was / is a bargain at 150.

Why? -

She is solid. She is refurbished w/ a new motor in 2004. She carried little if any lint on her persona when looked at.

And damn, I like a bargain.



Banished to the Recycler

A moment of silence for the above.

Solar Power

Theraputic hangings, amongst the plants and such.

Yeah, here and Now.

It is the jobbo 2, looking decivingly inviting, aint it?

So you all be good, I got a shift here, and 24 on the way tomorrow.

Go hang some clothes.

Aloha!

5 comments:

fineartist said...

kick axe, new to you dryer, dude.

My man used to work on washers and dryers.

The set we have now cost us around ten dollars a piece. He saw them sitting on the side of the road. They have been good ones for the most part. Sure they throw a belt every now and then....

Jennifer said...

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!

And I remember Edith putting the damp wash into the fridge so it wouldn't mildew before she had time to iron Archie's shirts.

1979 means fewer cardboard parts.

But I thought I TOLD you to make the family hang the clothes!!! Oh, how you spoil them, you big softie!

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

(Pst. Did anyone else click on the clothesline picture to check for under garments? Me neither.)

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

*Just had to say that I read this, then got up from my seat without thinking about it and recycled the clothes in the laundry. I think I've become possessed by the spirit of your deceased dryer.

Mags said...

I know you know this and appreciate it, but man, you are LUCKY to live in such a beautiful place.