16.6.06

Sketched

So I was out at my favorite summer time spot, and enjoying the morning, the surf, the solitude of being. It is probably not the smartest thing to be surfing by ones self, but usually, another soul comes out, in time. The other morining I am by meself. This occurs fairly often, as either the time I go, or where I go prohibits much of a crowd following. Not always, but enough of the time that it doesnt make me feel uncomfortable.

Then there are those days when you just know something is amiss.

It is that "uji" (ooo-gee) feeling, or feeling of something is amiss, or wrong, or just spooked.

So I am cruising alone with the ocean, glad to be finished work, killing a few hours before kiddo pick-up from summer school. Waves were fine, and cooperating. Ocean was deep green, alot of sand moving about, obscuring the usual blue green hues and visiblity. Out on the horizon, I thought I spied a pod of dolphins breeching, flying or just jumping for their own joy. Looking harder, it was apparent that they were not dolphins, but Mahimahi, and many were flying up, over, out and about. "Cool" I thinks. Being not the brightest star in the sky, I enjoyed the nature bit, and fleetingly expected to enjoy the moment even more.

Then I kinda realized, that, why were they cavorting so? There was not a fishing boat in the immediate area, and it looked as though no large mass of rubbish (to feed on) was there either.

So I wondered -

Why?

Even tho' sometimes it is cool to be stupid, the fog of my ineptitude lifted long enough for me to put 2 + 2 together to see that -

Something BIGGER is creating panic and movement among the Mahimahi.

Uji feelings are like a 3rd eye, or 6th sense, telling you - "yo doofus! get the fuck outta here"

So I heeded, and bailed to the showering off of salt water goodness.

Found out today that a 10 foot Tiger Shark was cruising the area, and later that day, the lifeguards scattered everyone outta the water.

So listen to those voices in your head, I guess.

Aloha.

2 comments:

fineartist said...

Oh man, oh man, I remeber you telling me about that uji feeling when the man was hit by a hoot owl in his brand new, to him, truck.

I got the chill bumps reading this, vicarious fright or thrill, probably both. Danger gets my blood up, sometimes.

Glad you took heed of the signs, glad you've got the knowing too.

Jennifer said...

Uji, indeed. I would have completely peed myself. You're one cool sea cucumber. Glad HawaiianMark lives to post another day!