27.10.06

5

Maimai broke her phone by accident the other day, and I had to run by Cingular to figure out if I had insurance (yep) or not. Then learn how to turn it in, ya da ya da.

And that took me back by my old station, station #5. My old watch was/is on duty today, as I will be tomorrow. 5 was built in around 24AD, and refurbished as a Historic building right before I got assigned there, 11 years ago.

I drove by right when the guys were starting the work shift (0800) 'cause I had to kill a half and hour, and I had to take a dump. (sorry)

Wandering in, I said Hi and High-fived, and went and took my crap. (sorry again) The guys were finishing clean up. Of course, the fellow firefighter that took what was supposed to be my position on the back of the ladder was there, and I knew he knew the shibai (BS) he pulled in order to get that spot.

And so does the whole department.

There are many forms of communication.

Telephone
Telegraph.
and Tell-a-fireman.

There are no secrets in the firehouse.

In an uneasy "see i see ya" moment, passed, I headed out the door to go to Cingular, which means I have to exit through the apparatus floor, where the trucks are, and get to the parking lot.

There was a lady standing by her car, just exiting.

She runs up to me and says if she can get some first aid for her friend, who is in the car.

Sure, "what happened?"

"She ...ripped off her toe in the door at home"

Okaaaaaaay.

So I go to the car, and lift up the lady, and carry her into the Station. All the guys run up to assist, and in the process, I get blood all over the shirt (white, of course) that i am wearing.

At least she had the toe, and put it in ice, in a bag.

Everybody works together, and all things aside go away, when duty calls.

I kinda miss the station.

Aloha.

3 comments:

fineartist said...

I cannot imagine doing what you do; no way could I do it, oh hell no. I would freak out.

Me: Your friend did what? Ripped her toe off? Oh crap lady , we‘ve got to find somebody to help her.

I might be able to do the search part of the rescue, but the rescue? I’ve never seen a ripped off toe, nope, never.

When my sister cut the tips of her fingers off, I had nightmares for days and I wasn’t even there.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, it takes all kinds of people to run this world…..Good thing you aren’t all like me. Sheesh.

I know that feeling, that feeling that you miss a place where you spent so much of your time, I feel it every time I pass my last school. It’s bitter sweet.

alan said...

I wonder how far it was to the firehouse, vs. the e-r?

But then I've been known to panic as well...

Thinking of you; glad you aren't in CA right now!

alan

Rain said...

oh gross, I thought you were kidding, or that she meant the toenail. I can't take it, that's why I didn't become a nurse. I think people who have the composure and skills to do what you do are pretty amazing.