18.10.06

Knots, Trucks, and almost stupid.

When I got onto the Fire Dept., I had to learn a great deal of knots. This is a relatively simple task, needing only repitition. Knots are usually 'finished' and presented in a set way. Usually done from a right handed view. I am right handed.

It is my brain that is left handed.


New 1

You see, all my knots were and still are, backwards. All of 'em. If a bowline is supposed to be finished with a clove hitch on the front to the right, mine will be the complete opposite.

So me and knots have this understanding - I dont bother you, and you dont bitch about me being assbackwards.

The greatest knot is a 'truckers hitch' - You can secure and tie down almost anything, it is one knot that I love.

But it doesnt help if you are toooooooo stoooooopid to use it.

Well, you can use it, albeit late (as in on the freeway, as you are driving home, in the right hand emergency lane)

Because you were too stupid to know a 600+ pound box isnt going to remain standing straight up as you drive down the freeway up and over hills.

It seemed like it would.

So 5 minutes into driving this behemoth home, and my eyes glued to the rearview mirror, I see it rock back wards - almost to the point where I can see the bottom of the damn box. NO SHIT SHERLOCK!

So I apply the brakes, and the box tilts back.

Now I have almost had a heart attack, cause the damn thing cost 1200 frikkin dollars, and I have almost ruined it, along with the bed and tailgate of my truck.

I drove homw with a heart rate of about 200, and a BP of 200 over damn 200 just about.

After I tied the damn thing down.

On the side of the freeway.

With traffic.

Before going to work.

With a knot.

Using my left handed brain.

Aloha.

3 comments:

alan said...

Me sailor-
me brown shoe sailor
also called Airedale
No knots r'us...

I can fix most anything
but can only tie shoes
and fishing knots...

Bought nice set of 4 ratchet straps w/keeper bag at Costco for $15, now behind seat of new truck...

Glad you and shiny new fridge are home safe and sound!

alan

Jennifer said...

Congrats on getting the deee-lux fridge home ding-free! Hooo, boy! She's a shiny one!

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

That's my dream fridge!

I don't understand why Disney hasn't made a movie about your life instead of that alien dog thingie.

'Left handed brain.' Exactly. I looked at Jack as soon as I read that. He makes his little A's from the tail of the whale first, instead of the circle out. (That's hard to describe. Dang.) It's poetry watching him doing tasks backwards. He's gotten so fast at it, and ya know people think it'd be easier on him to relearn 'the right way' to do it. I'm more fascinated with WHY he does things his own way.
But if the kid is ever helping me move my dream fridge, I'll make sure to be the one tying the knots.
(...and she Googles a 'How to Tie Knots' book, so as to have fifteen years to practice.)

Came by to check and see if you got shooken up. Gonna scroll down now.