19.2.06

The Dog Bite / Homeless Guy / "Hey world leaders, try this!"

Wave of The Day - (& world leaders should surf, no wars, ya'd be too stoked to argue)

Courtesy 808surfer.com - Bud is THE man


Maile got bit on the face by a stray dog today. Minor wound, more crying out of fear than pain. But how it went is worth a minute.
24 hours at firecom yesterday, and home this AM after running to Loews for some supplies for grout. Napped for a spell, and took the troops to Costco for shopping. Back home, wash the truck, and the cries of "Mark!!!" as usual, get my attention. Maile had tried to assist (catch) a stray dog running around our cul-de-sac. We had seen it earlier, and not really paid much attention. Seems the maimai had gotten next door to Lady C's Uncles house (1 block over and up) and he had heard her crying, the dog on the run away. He brought her home, and now I was playing MASH unit Doc. A quick fix butterfly bandage, a call to the ER, and Lady C and Mai are on the road.
So i call the Humane Society, and request they come to pick up a stray that had bit my kiddo. They (of course, being the weekend) were smashed, but the guy took my info and was really cool about it.

The perp comes wandering back down our street. I grab a length of rope, and start following the dog. I finally corner him in a yard of someones over two streets, and loop the slip knot around him, and fairly gently walk him to my house. I call back the Humane Society, and read them the dog tag on the pooch. He takes my number, and will get in touch with the owners.

I hate lawyers. My experience with them is this - They know the rules to the game that they are privy to. And they keep the rules close to the vest. If they lose, they get paid. If they win, they get paid.

Anyone else see a lack of something or other there?

Sorry. I spent a year defending my oldest from a scumbag lawyer. In a case that for lack of better wording, was screwed for his favor from the beggining.

OK, back to Dogville.

The owner calls, and I say the situation, and decdied long before that - How they reacted to me, was how I would treat them. PERIOD. So when a petite voice called and said they were the owners, I kinda was a shit about it, saying where we were, and what are we all going to do about this?...

Surely one could sue. The bite is on her face. The kid is 14. Scar probably.

Maybe I am a simple fool, or maybe I just really dont know any better. I spoke to her about what had happened, and Lady C calls saying that Mai is getting a stitch, all is OK, etc... The owner was saying how they will pay all bills, and what not. I told her I have Kaiser, it will be 25 bucks or so, but that isnt the point.

The point is, I said - "I hope i didnt sound like a jerk too much on the phone. You were real cool and concerned on the phone, and came right away. My daughter is fine, and your pooch is not too worse for the wear. If you had been different, I decided how ever the owner treated me, I would reciprocate back"

And that was about it.

Driving to work, I came to the stop light, and the homeless guy that panhandles with a limp and a sign was there. He cruised the stopped cars. In the middle lane, a car with some young pups, a car held together by wishes and prayers, donated him some change.

I avoided eye contact.

He walked by, and I glanced up in the rearview mirror to see a car load of well-dressed old biddies shaking there heads, and collectively poo-poo-ing him as he wandered by.

So i grabbed a bunch of coins scattered about that cab, and garnered up about 4 bucks, total. He was sitting on the guard rail, the light still red.

What would I do if I was homeless?

I wouldnt panhandle.

I wouldnt beg.

What would I do?

I dont know.

So before the light changed, I called him over, and placed the change in his cupped hands.

I swear I knew him. He was about my age or thereabouts.

I couldnt live with the shame of this, day in, day out.

What would I do?

I dont know.

He wished me God Bless, and it was sincere. Maybe not. Maybe I got had.

Maybe.

I dont know.

I dont know what I would do.

++++++++++

I wonder if the leaders watch the olympics taking place. The hate mongers preaching love of allah, jehovah, Jesus, Buddah, Yahweh, who or whatever.

All the athletes look the same.

Young.

Happy.

Determined.

If they wore no flags, no colors, could you tell them apart?

What would seperate them all?

Arbitrary boudries, drawn by man, dividing up our human race?

Supreme beings, prophets, wise men....I may have missed alot in catechisim, but i thought the main thing was LOVE.

Being kind to each other, helping.

I mean what the fuck?

Is that really so hard to comprehend?

Kill, hate, destroy.

Over a fricking cartoon.

Over gays.

Over the color of your skin, your beliefs.

There some people that got issues.

Supreme beings, prophets, they must be sooooo fucking proud.


Aloha.

4 comments:

Anne said...

beautiful.
sorry about your kiddo, and glad she's okay.
too easy to hate the homeless.
but isn't it a bit like hating ourselves, after all?
it's such a dilemma...
just like racism, and all that comes with it.
have a good week, mark.

alan said...

Glad your daughter is OK! That could have been so terrible!

The rest of your post is awesome. Wonderful words, straight from the heart; I wish I could inject it into some!

Life is too short for hatred...the saddest part is not only do they condemn, but they condemn the following generations as well!

Thank you for the post, and for all your kind words!

alan

fineartist said...

I like the way you think, and I especially appreciate the way you articulate the way you think.

Glad your kiddo is well, too.

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

You're a good man (human & honest, too). I am always learning from you. Filling up a notebook, in fact. There should be a bumpersticker...WWMD?...'He'd give some change because kindness is always right.'