28.2.06

Life in Drive

The Acura Saga.

A love/hate story in no acts.

So I married a car nut. Ever since, well, ever since. The lady knows her way around a vehicle. It is one of the great things that drew me to her. She’s strong. Strong willed. Strong minded. Strong, uh, headed?

Like stubborn.

I can travel by bus. I can walk. I can run. If I could surf to work, I would. But as of this reality, I cant. My Lady C loves her car. And well she should. Any woman that knows as much as she does about cars deserves the comfort of her work. We have had dates that consisted of removing transmissions, exchanging headers, removing shocks and struts, even dropping and changing engines in Volkswagens.

Small note on VW’s they are my dream car. 1967 VW double cab. Perfection.

Surfmobile extraordinaire

But I’ll digress.

So the Lady of the house has a 2003 Acura MDX. Gas mileage good for an island, and destruction of the environment hopefully minimal. She traded in her Toyota 4 Runner for it, and seemed like a good deal, and so be it. But like most things of late, there is a rub.

A rub-a-dub-dub.

I now drive a Toyota truck. It being the first new vehicle I have ever owned. My last truck died in 2003. It was a beater of a Nissan Pick up, but it ran, and held out the vermin good. It collapsed due to tranny problems, and was cheaper, and less time-consuming to venture into the world of a new car. So I did.

But back to our heroine.

The Lady C manages the Acura’s Car Doc visits under warranty, and keeps up with the fluids change, either by her, or by me, and we all live happily together. But the Lady C has the EAR. The EAR hears an engine, and KNOWS when it is not running correctly.

Did I mention she used to ride her Dads ’60 Harley Davidson? With no electric start? He wouldn’t let her ride it until she kick started it herself. Kick start. As in a pedal. That you have to kick down to compress the engine in order for it to start. It (the compression) can break your leg.

Yes, she kicks okole (ass)

The EAR at work.

When she knows a car is running rough, believe me, she is right. So any males in the male dominated world of car repair, have another thing coming when trying to bamboozle the Lady C. Not to be messed with, she holds her own.

But back to the real story.

She knew her Acura was running rough. She took it in. Not once, not twice, but 3 times. And she didn’t get thrown in jail. Which, to me, is a feat in itself. She basically called the dealers bluff all 3 times, they said it was fixed, she said nope. Three times. That is more chances than I get. Come to find out, it is a problem that Acura knows of, and will not repair, until the warranty is run out. Then they will.

On your dime, not theirs.

Pissed wahine. (woman)

Usually she would demand the right thing be done.

Lady C quit. She gave in to ‘em. She traded her Acura in for another car.

A bloody 2005 Escalade.

This doesn’t go well for me.

Deal with it, I will. I am just kinda bummed that she didn’t give ‘em hell. That is her usual MO.

I guess I still have a lot to learn about my Lady.

Aloha.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

two posts in one day? How lucky can we get??

So much for saving gas money!

alan said...

I listen to "Car Talk" on public radio when I get a chance, and more than once I've heard stories about things exactly like that.

Watching surfing on the Fuel Channel, thinking of you...

alan