23.8.06

Justification in Being

It is a humid; light winds, August day.

Surfed this morning, and surfed well enough to put a smile on my noggin'.

Just another day, extra special sameness; taking Maimai to school in the AM, having a heated conversation on the benefits of NPR vs. "Pop" (read: Crap) Radio. Animated me making fun of such fine lyrics as "my humps! my humps! my lovely lady humps!", and the never to be remembered in the next 6 months: "dropit like its hot, dropit like its hot"...Of course I had to animate all the moves, and rump shaking delivery that goes with each finely crafted 'song'.

At 35 mph in the slow lane.

Makes morning commutes fun, if not for me, for the others out there, stuck in it.

There are only so many shades of red a 14 y/o can turn, ya know?

The discussion was really a very good one, me, explaining the concept of "why the frick they have to stick in your face"...vs. The idea of "keep it from your elders; its got swearing in the song, and it talks about making love"

Steely Dans "Show biz kids" lyric, hidden deep in the song: 'They dont give a fuck about anybody else, they're outrageous" is more subversive and incognito than splaying out spread eagle on the floor, dont ya think?

Elvis shaking his hips, The Beatles haircuts, Double entendre(?) meanings hidden in songs, made you search out the forbidden goodies. In searching, you vicariously learned how to do research.

You dont have to reseach her humps in your face - you already know WTF is going on.

What fun is that?

There is some very good music new to the hearing canals, albeit "Pop" (read: CRAP) radio plays none of it.

My subversive side has all the radio buttons in my truck keyed into NPR, and KTUH, the local college radio station.

You wont find a commercial anywhere, (well a little on NPR)

And thats how I like my radio, music filled, news reading, entertaining, WORTH listening to.

So I had me a good surf session this AM, light winds, enough push from this swell to make it worth getting fried in tropic sun for 3 hours, but I do my part, and stay out in the better part (8AM to 11AM) from the blitzkrieg of UV rays. I try to remember to slather on the sunblock, but I usually forget.

So my red eyes from salt water are matching nicely with the exterior pinkness of the jail that is my confines for the next few hours. Salt water sinus running rampant down my snozzzola; I am quite the example of visitor welcome.

If I can just get this kink outta my neck, some aloe on my burnt parts, I will be good as new. Passable on the blackmarket for at least a buck or two.

Wish you all generous amounts of Peace and Joy.

Aloha

4 comments:

alan said...

Love your choice of radio...makes my wife crazy!

Glad you got wet!!!

alan

fineartist said...

Me too, radio seems to be heavy on the crap scale...

We live in a rural area, I usually listen to cd's, but I can definitely see why people plunk down the money to get those I-pods, I haven't yet, and when I do I'll probably by the cheap, cheap, cheapest off brand version, and just be happy as heck to have it too.

I second Alan, glad you got to wet your board.

Jennifer said...

Love Steely Dan, especially Janie Runaway, which is a song about yours truly, so my gal-pals say.

As for "My Hump," that's a lot of stale horseshit in my opinion. That's the difference between "effing" and making love, right there. One requires nothing more than the will to do it; the other requires imagination and creativity and feeling, and a willingness to inspire it to happen.

I like your radio. I'm NPR all the way.

Little Kenny said...

So it's not just me who gets the drippy salt water nose. Nice. It works ever so well with a snorkling mask. ;)