3.1.06

They swapped my meds for Skittles

Even though it has been a decade plus of being in the firehouse, I still stand in awe of humanity. For sure, there are times at the second job of “hotelwhoshallnotbenamed” where I question the maker of some kindred spirits.

Tired man talking! We are not responsible for the ramblings of this madman! *** (public service announcement brought to by responsible writers/thinkers of America) ***

The Old Year ended as busy as it always is, with the sound of fireworks reverbing through the muggy, still Hawaiian night. Make that 10,000 phone calls to Firecom; on a still, muggy Hawaiian night. Not much on the richter, but busy – mucho busy. The regular 24 for the first was no better, with the requisite complaints from the night before festivities. Patience paid dividends, and made it through tired, unscathed ‘cept for the jumper call.

This is not particularly pleasant, so be forewarned.

EMS calls us to co-respond with them to one of the Hotels in Waikiki. The crews that are on duty on the first are the guys I know best. If you have watched TV, they have a show called ‘Third Watch” or something like that, it may be cancelled for all I know. Anyway, I was part of First Watch on our schedule of work. So the guys, I know them all pretty well. EMS call about the jumper, and relays that it a possible double suicide off the **lton **tel, not sure if it is 2 kids, or a Parent & child. I don’t mean this to shock, but for the call to be unsure, it had to have been a mess. And the crew that is going is being led by one of my very good friends. In the seconds from taking the call, inputting the alarm, and dispatching the company, I got a hold of my friend, and informed him of what was to be expected. Stoic is his middle name. Dedicated, God fearing, could be his last name. With no time for pleasantries, I spoke, he listened, and off they went. They get to the scene. And it is 1 victim, a 3 y/o, who fell 8 stories.

I cant go into what if, who shoulda, or point a finger. There is a little life gone, and that sucks.

My friend who is leading the crew to this alarm does there best, and does what can be done, concidering. When he called back later that evening, and said only – “that was a rough one” You could have yanked my soul out and trampled it, cause I wouldn’t have known it was gone.

The line of work is not particularly glamorous, we get dirty a lot, we run into a host of types of people. We always jump at the alarms that have the word ‘child’ in them. There are times when I thought that scenes like this would make me calloused, but in reality, it has made me care more. And it is in that caring that I find myself dwelling on quite a lot. I can hear children crying anywhere, be it the store, the beach, just ANYWHERE. And all I want them to do is not cry. Not feel pain. Not feel fear. Have them feel engulfed in protection and love. I have to stop myself at times from saying to myself – “Its OK little guy/sister, no cry, its alright” – ‘Cause sometimes its not a cry of woe. Where the caring for each of us comes from, the heart, it carries so much. Our life blood, our love, our courage, strength and forbearance.

I wish it could take hold of a little hand once in awhile.

Forgive me, like I said, tired, and someone swapped my meds for Skittles.


Peace.

Aloha.

6 comments:

Angeline Rose Larimer said...

Hugging my kids.

Hoping you and your friend can feel it.

Mags said...

Loss of life is always terrible to hear about, but always much more sad when it's a child. I'm sorry that you have to deal with so much pain and suffering for a living, but know that it is appreciated-not everyone is nearly as strong as you are.

And I'm happy to hear that you have not chosen to be calloused by it. You are truly someone who should be in the line of work you are in, and there should be more like you....

Rain said...

I'm sorry that you had to experience that. It would naturally heighten your awareness of all the potential for tragedy around you. I too am glad that you and others like you are out there doing your job. Thank you.

Segue said...

It is reasons such as this one that the rest of us are so greatful that you do the jobs that the rest of us posess neither the stomach nor the heart to do.

And ironically, a lot of 3-year-olds want to BE you.

Sandy said...

so sad. Saw it on the news and couldn't believe it. Worse, these guys are on vacation, and all they can do is go home one less, and full of sorrow.

Jennifer said...

Heart wrenching.

HUGS...