6.10.05

Waaaah...Sniffle.

Missed a surf. Tomorrow I will atone for this sin. Mymy was hurt, playing volleyball, so Dr. we go. All good, just a sprain.

FireCom yesterday - Actually did a kids homework on the line. No shit. He calls asking about the Makiki area - so I figure it is fire safety week related. Nope. He wants to know where the shelters are in the area. OK. I do the best I can, telling him the logical locations for them. Then he goes on to ask about demographics for the area, home prices, and what are the races of the residents in the area. Huh? You gotta love public schools, thats all i can think of. Freshman, at the areas public high. He tells me his teacher told him to call us to help him with the homework. Nice enough lad, just....Huh?

A skateboarder went down on Kaimuki & 11th ave. My old first in area with Station 5. There was always this young kid, maybe 15, who skated all over the place. always saw him in the morning, cruising. Going to school, via the simplest vehicle possible. The EMS guys call, and I call my beloved Station 5, to give 'em the heads up before we even dispatched them; we all knew this kid, I hoped it wasnt him, cause he is a good kid. EMS tells me that he has masssive head injuries, and that he is bleeding from the ears. Not good. He is also not moving. Not good, too. The Ladder guys get there, and no radio chatter, not good, again. They take around 1 hour at the scene, then go to Queen's hospital to pick up a firefighter. Very much, ...not good. We usually only assist with transport when life is critcally in danger. Because I surf, and skated, and knowing this kid, albeit vicariuosly abit standoff, I have a hard time with it. I have fractured my skull in 3 places from skating, and lost my memory, once.

Things dont look good for him. This, my friends; sucks. i dont know what to say, but a part is really sad, a part is feeling out-of-synch. Like I wish I was there, just a I wish I would be able to be around my Maile, when she was hurt. The demands, the responsiblities, they seem small and foolish compared to the need to help. I really hate working so much right now.

So before work I go to Barnes & Nobles to grab something to read, as a tonic for the mind. There is this guy, standing in front of where I have parked my arse, going through, say, 10 books at once. Smelly. Disheveled. Talking to the walls. One eye on the book i am perusing, and all attention on this gent. I read for an hour, and he was in an area 5' by 5' in front of me the whole time. How do you keep readin 10 books, going back and forth between them constantly, and stand on one leg (most of the time) for that whole hour? Now i am just about pau (finished) with the reading, and getting ready to go, and he quickly puts back all the books, and states to no one in particular - " nothing worth reading" And bolts out. There, by the grace of God, go I.

Another day in paradise, another wonder for my mind.

I AM GOING SURFING TOMORROW.

(waves permitting, of course)

Stay stoked.

I will.

Aloha.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sending up prayers for your fellow skater, Mark. Damn, that does suck.

Good on ya for helping with the homework -- but, the student didn't call 911, did he? Wouldn't that be illegal?

I get to go to Maui early November. Just found out -- I am spoiled rotten and stoked as all get-out. I promise to be kind to our hosts :-)