29.11.05

Taking Paradise Forgranted

Segue asked a real good question in the comments section - That after a while does paradise become the "normal"? And as always, that got me thinking - (bad sign, dangerous curves ahead) - Do I take it forgranted?

I dont think so, but that hasnt always been the case.

After spending 21/2 years here -



Studying graphic design/commercial art, surviving brutal winters, and hot boring summers, cracking my skull, walking back to these dorms, not knowing who I was -



One of the first things I asked my friend Willie, was "Where the hell am I?" He said Des Moines, at Drake, studying.

I said - "No fucking way!?!"

But yes, I have taken the beauty that surrounds me forgranted. I guess in the hassle of making a living, and the various trials and tribulations associated with it, Yep, I did take it for the Norm. Thank goodness for reinforcement, cause that gives me no excuse not to appreciate all that is my home. Reinforced daily is the fact that I live in the most isolated place in the world. It is kinda nice to be in the middle of the Pacific. Sure it has its inherent drawbacks, a culture that can be harsh to newcomers, and tolerant of behavoir of locals that shoudnt be tolerated. We pay alot for just about everything, from Milk to Gas, paradise inflicts a heavy tax. Most goods not grown here are shipped in, adding to the cost. The residents of my home are the greatest mix in all the United States.

I am lucky enought to be able to experience the natural grandeur that Hawaii is. I can go to the mountains, the sea, and inbetween. It is a colorful land. Not only the people, but the flavors of food, dialects, attitudes. I can travel to MaunaKea on the big island of Hawaii, and snow ski. Up there, the sky is so clear, and perfect, that most of the observatories in the world are there. It is a pretty spectacular place. Drive down from there, and I can experience mom nature spewing out new land. Active volcanoes are on the big isle.

Not that I havent been privledged to see the glory of the mainland. Iowa storms coming in over the plains are pretty impressive. Chicago is a pretty intresting town. Full moons in Omaha are huge.

And yeah, upper Michigan is pretty damn righteous, too. Okay, Lansing, ... is cold. California is country in and of itself. I never thought beauty could come in so many hues. California, she does that to you.

Actually, Houghton, Michigan, is the coldest damn place in the entire universe. I STILL cant feel my toes. And it was 1980 when I went there. Thats cold. I got lost on an interstate in Illinois, heading to a concert, and backtracked over some of the most spectacular expanses of nothingness I have ever seen.

Anywhosafats, I take home less forgranted than I have before, probably because of the luck of lifes experience.

And thats a GOOD thing, Martha!

(and being that I am now at the tourista enclave of De Hotel, I should keep the positive attitude as much above water a s I can...)

Back to FireCom 'morrow.

Aloha!

2 comments:

Segue said...

It's funny that you mention cold places in the U.S.

I was in the Air Force, and due to the legacy of the Cold War, there are a good number of air bases along the Canadian border. One large one is in Grand Forks, North Dakota, which happens to be over 100 miles NORTH of Fargo, if you've ever seen the movie "Fargo". During the winter, you have to plug in your car's engine block heater every time you park, or you'll never get it started again. If you go to the mall, you leave your engine running. Weird.

Anyway, during Air Force Tech School, all the active duty people were handed there future station... And nothing is as painfully funny as a Key West native getting stationed in Grand Forks, North Dakota. This far surpasses "culture shock".

Segue said...

I forgot to explain: Along the Canadian border offers the shortest bomber flight to the Soviet Union.